UPDATED: January 25, 2024
When will v3 go live?
v3 launched in beta to a select group of invite-only users on December 15, 2023. This preliminary phase will ensure our entire global community has a smooth, seamless transition to the latest version.
What if I want to switch to v3 but my account has not been invited for the early beta period that started on December 15, 2023?
We are accepting applications for early access to v3. We will continue accepting accounts to join the v3 experience on a rolling basis prior to a widespread transition in 2024.
Why is There an Update to the Existing Fitwel Standard (v2.1)?
We regularly evolve the Fitwel Standard to ensure it reflects the most recent research and evidence, is responsive to input and insights from our users, and is optimized for resiliency, impact, and value. The latest version, Fitwel v2.1 includes clarified strategy language, expanded pathways for compliance, and various strategy requirement updates. Since its launch in 2018, Fitwel v2.1 has proven to be scalable, globally relevant, adaptable to various asset classes and types, and reflective of market demand.
What Are The Key Improvements That Will Be Included as Part of v3?
The new version reflects the latest research and evidence linking health and the built environment and gives users every opportunity to design and operate their assets to promote people’s health, and in turn, maximize value.
Here are some highlights:
- New Evidence-based Strategies: New health-promoting strategies based on an expanded evidence base
- Streamlined Documentation Process: Streamlined and more efficient documentation process to improve project submissions.
- Clarified Language and Guidance: Content alignment and clarity to guide project teams on strategy compliance and documentation.
- Streamlined Process for Portfolio-Wide Implementation: Strategy alignment across scorecards allows users to streamline strategy implementation across their portfolio.
- Expanded Applicability: Improved scorecard solutions for multi-tenant buildings that expand and optimize the impact of Fitwel’s health-promoting strategies.
- New Tech Enhancements and Features: Expanded access to the digital platform, enhancements to client response functions, and opportunities for performance assessments.
Will v3 Have a Pathway for Every Project Type?
The most common project typologies can be found within the updated v3 Asset Applicability Matrix, which will be shared in the v3 Preview area of the Fitwel Help Center once available. This resource helps Fitwel users determine which certification pathway and scorecard product is applicable for a project.
When will v2.1 become unavailable to new projects?
In order for our customers to have the smoothest-possible transition to v3 and to allow additional time for a comprehensive discovery period of the new material, we are extending use of v2.1 into 2024 during the preliminary beta release of v3. At this time, there is no date to share when v2.1 will become unavailable.
How Does v3 Affect My Project(s)?
If you’re actively working on a registered v2.1 project, you may continue to certify your project under v2.1!
To offer additional clarification, we have outlined more specific scenarios below:
How Does v3 Impact My Registered v2.0 and v2.1 Project Timelines?
- v2.0 Projects: The requirements for v2.0 projects are unaffected by this change.
- Currently registered v2.0 projects that have not yet initiated certification must do so by generating payment by invoice or credit card prior to the end of 2023 (by 11:59pm ET on December 31, 2023).
- v2.0 projects must be submitted for certification within one year. If a v2.0 project has not been submitted for certification by December 31, 2024, it will be upgraded to v3.
- Note that v2.0 is no longer available for registration for new projects and v2.0 will no longer be supported for certification one year after the release of v3.
- v2.1 Projects: Simply, v2.1 projects will continue to be available into 2024 during the preliminary beta release of v3. Our previous requirement to initiate payment of registration and certification fees by December is no longer valid. *Please note, as always, project teams have up to three (3) years from the time a project is registered to submit a project for certification.
How Does v3 Impact Recertification Timelines?
- v2.0 Projects: Certified v2.0 projects seeking recertification will certify with v2.1 during the preliminary beta release of v3. Once v3 is fully available to all users, v2.0 projects initiating recertification will automatically be registered on v3 and/or the latest version available, whichever is applicable.
- v2.1 Built Pathway: For general users, certified v2.1 projects seeking recertification will continue to register for and initiate recertification on v2.1 during the preliminary beta release of v3. v3 beta users will have the option to recertify a project on v3 as early as December 15, but with recertification efficiencies hosted offline during the beta release period. These users may also choose to recertify with v2.1 during this beta release of v3.
- v2.1 Design Pathway: The beta launch of v3 does not impact projects that have achieved Design Pathway certification under v2.1. Design Pathway projects seeking recertification may recertify under the v2.1 Built Pathway after the beta release of v3, or choose to upgrade to v3 at a later date; however, projects will need to upgrade to the most recent version for the next recertification cycle.
If I Register my Project Under v2.1 Now, Am I Able to Upgrade to v3 at a Later Date?
Yes, a project may request an upgrade to v3 after being invited into the beta period, or once v3 is made available to all customers, whichever comes first. *Please note, upgrading a scorecard version may take up to 2 weeks to complete, and any information selected and/or submitted on the preceding digital scorecard must be retained and downloaded on the client side prior to upgrading, as all inputs will be deleted in the changeover.
Will There Be a Cost Difference Between v2.1 and v3?
No, certification fees will remain consistent between standard versions v2.1 and v3 until Fitwel’s previously announced new pricing goes into effect in April 2024.
How Long Do I Have Before I’m Required to Certify My Project?
A project has up to three years to submit a project for certification once it is registered.
When Does a Project’s 3-Year Certification Validity Period Begin?
Fitwel Certification is valid for three years from the date the certification is awarded. Recertification can be initiated at any time on the Fitwel Platform within the three years from the date of the initial certification award. Projects that do not submit for recertification within one year from the expiration date will be required to resubmit their project as an initial certification, and will not benefit from recertification efficiencies or discounts on the Fitwel platform.
Is There an Opportunity to Participate in a Pilot Ahead of the Release?
Fitwel v3 will launch in beta to select users who will be provided with early access to test key functionality. In addition to that beta user group cohort, which we expect will expand following the v3 launch on December 15, we are hosting a formal comment period into 2024 to elicit feedback from Fitwel users to ensure improved feasibility, applicability, and to clarify language and/or provide additional examples within the new standard. Additionally, we will continue to collect comments submitted through one of two available online forms in the Fitwel Help Center v3 Preview, here.
How Does v3 Affect the Fitwel Ambassador Program? Will I Need to Renew My Credential?
An individual’s Fitwel Ambassador credential is valid in perpetuity, regardless of the version under which the credential is awarded. Ambassadors will not need to renew their credentials for v3. The Ambassador Course is introductory level and primarily focuses on the development of Fitwel, how Fitwel is applied to projects, and the growing health and business imperatives driving demand for health-promoting real estate. The multiple choice exam will be updated to include v3-relevant questions to merge newer strategies and current concepts within Fitwel.
How Can I Learn More?
The v3 strategy requirements, tools, and resources are available for preview on the Help Center and are regularly shared through our newsletters, blogs, and on social media
. Keep an eye out for our upcoming updates!
- To report Strategy Specific Feedback, including any content errors or typos you may have found, feasibility of strategy requirements or compliance documentation, and any other relevant feedback on the strategy-specific aspects of the standard, click HERE to submit your feedback.
- For General v3 Feedback, such as feedback about the feasibility and applicability of the standard as a whole, and any other general comments you may have, click HERE to submit your feedback.