Below we outline the primary steps of the Fitwel certification process:
- Step 1: Register a project by navigating to the Fitwel Platform, creating a company account and underlying portfolios to organize projects. As you register a project, you will provide essential project information. For more tips on getting started, please refer to our Fitwel Portal Guide, attached.
- Step 2: Advance through the Fitwel process, by choosing the appropriate Fitwel pathway (new construction or existing building) and associated Scorecard, and assessing how your project measures up against each of the Fitwel Strategies. If you need assistance with this part of the process, Fitwel’s Submission Workbook was developed to help provide helpful guidance for the early stages of product selection and certification. You can do find Fitwel's Submission Workbook is here for free download.
- Step 3: Use Fitwel’s Benchmarking feature to better understand how your project scores against the Fitwel standard. Benchmarking allows users to forecast potential score outcomes and is a useful tool to gauge areas of potential opportunity within a project. More about Fitwel’s benchmarking feature can be found in the brochure attached to this article. If you would like to learn more about the insights and impacts you can derive by benchmarking your project and/or your entire portfolio, we welcome you to review our report, “Health Drives Value in Real Estate,” found here.
- Step 4: Upload required documentation to show how you’re complying with the selected Fitwel Strategies. Companies applying Fitwel at scale may upload documentation applicable throughout a portfolio all at once, rather than on a project-by-project basis.
- Step 5: In 12 to 16 weeks, Fitwel’s Certification Team reviews a project, and sends comments for the project team’s review and response. Fitwel Champions and Ambassadors are eligible for expedited certification review timelines of as little as 12 weeks. Champions and Ambassadors are leading companies and individuals committed to Fitwel’s mission of building health for all(r). You made it! Fitwel’s Certification Team designates the project with a numerical score and associated Star Rating. Your certification is valid for 3 years.
- Step 6: Your project can maintain its Fitwel status without lapse by initiating recertification at any point within three years from the initial certification award, and by submitting for recertification within one year of the expiration date. Recertification can be initiated at any time following the initial certification by paying the $500 USD project registration fee. Download the Platform Guide to learn how to start your project's recertification process.