Locating a stair in a visible area can encourage occupants to use the stairs when traveling across floors, contributing to increased daily physical activity rates.
- The staircase used to submit for this strategy must be the same across the entirety of Section 5. The submitted staircase must be the same as what is identified in Strategy 5.1.
- Credit cannot be awarded for Stair Location (5.2) if the project pursued Alternative Compliance for Strategy Stair Access (5.1).
- If multiple stairwells within a project qualify for strategy 5.1, Stair Access, only one has to qualify for Stair Location.
- It is acceptable for the qualifying stair to be located behind a door, but there must be a glass window, large sign, or other design element making clear the availability and visibility of the stairs.
- However, if documentation can provide evidence that the qualifying stairwell is instantly viewable upon entry into the building, more so than the elevator banks, then additional signage, etc. is not needed.
- Please submit multiple pieces of documentation (such as both annotated plans and annotated photographs) if they are needed to clearly communicate to the reviewers how the stair is more or equally visibly located to regular occupants on the main building entrance floor when compared to elevators.
- Annotate any floor plans submitted to make it clear where the stair door/entry is located and what it looks like.