Increasing stair visibility can encourage occupants to use the stairs when traveling across floors, contributing to increased daily physical activity.
- The staircase used to submit for this strategy must be the same across the entirety of Section 5. The submitted staircase must be the same as what is identified in Strategy 5.1.
- Stair visibility criteria must be implemented on all floors within the project to receive credit, not just 51% of floors.
- Visibility practices require at least one or a combination of the stair visibility elements implemented on each floor within the project.
- There are no dimension requirements for the clear glazing (window) that may be made available on stairwell doors.
- If the stair is fully visible from within the elevator lobby, (e.g., it is not behind any doors or walls), the stairwell would qualify, as the intent is to make the stairwell visible.
- The qualifying stairwell does not necessarily need to be fully visible from within the main entrance lobby, central reception space or workspaces, etc. in order to qualify.
- Submit detailed documentation to show how the stair is made more visible to regular occupants moving through the space.
- For the Design Pathway, use detailed annotations and/or design drawings to clearly describe the type(s) of visibility practice(s) implemented.