Provide evenly distributed lighting in all outdoor areas
Rationale: Pedestrian-scale lighting designed to eliminate shadows improves ability to navigate and improves ability to see figures at night, contributing to increased perceptions of safety, reduced crime, and diminished stress levels.
Demonstrate compliance with the below:
Distributed Lighting for All Required Outdoor Areas (Full Credit):
Demonstrate compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Install lighting that allows for even illumination in all of the following outdoor areas on-site:
- outdoor spaces
- bicycle paths
- outdoor parking areas
- all main building building entrances
- all side building entrances
- pedestrian entrances from parking areas
- transit or shuttle stops.
Outdoor lighting that uses motion sensors are eligible to qualify for credit.
- Minimize glare and off-site impacts on abutting properties by utilizing the following lighting fixtures that direct or shield lighting:
- low-height street lamps that illuminate sidewalks and pathways in addition to roadways
- street lamps that are specifically designed to eliminate shadows and dark corners
- up-lighting that is directed at pedestrians.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Annotated plans
- Annotated photographs
- Specification sheets