Establish and implement a construction safety policy
Rationale: Construction safety practices reduce exposure to harmful chemicals, physical hazards, and noise pollution, supporting quality of sleep and cognitive function and reducing risk of injury and chronic respiratory disease for occupants, employees, and the surrounding community.
Demonstrate compliance with the below:
Option 1 - Construction Safety Policy (Full Credit):
To achieve full credit, demonstrate compliance with the following requirement:
- Implement a Construction Safety Policy that is at least as rigorous as the Fitwel Construction Safety Policy.
The Fitwel Indoor Construction Safety Policy is attached below.
- Ensure the construction safety policy applies to any construction, major renovations, and public space improvements during all phases of construction and renovations as outlined in Section 1 of the Construction Safety Policy.
- Ensure that construction project managers implement all safety practices as outlined in Section 2 of the Construction Safety Policy.
- Implement a community impact assessment for all construction, major renovations, and public space improvements within the project as outlined in the requirements of Section 3 of the Construction Safety Policy.
- Share the policy with all tenants through a minimum of one of the following methods:
- relevant leases or a tenant manual
- a digital platform, such as a website, digital application, or display screen in common areas
- communication material, such as notification emails or newsletters.
Option 2 - Equivalent Standard (Full Credit):
Achieve credit for one of the following equivalent standards:
- BREEAM Considerate Construction Scheme.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Certified statements