Provide access to showers and lockers
Rationale: Access to showers and lockers supports physical activity during the day, encouraging active commutes and increasing the likelihood of employees engaging in physical activity before, during, or after work hours — contributing to reduced risk of cardiovascular conditions, obesity, and diabetes.
Requirement Guidance: For buildings with multiple entrances, identify a main building entrance that is used to access a common area within the building such as a lobby, reception area, or main circulation pathway.
Active commuter amenities may qualify for more than one building. A combination of multiple commuter amenities that meet the requirements may qualify for the strategy.
Demonstrate compliance with the below:
Active Commuter Amenities (Full Credit):
To achieve full credit, demonstrate compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Provide showers and lockers free of charge to all project occupants.
- Meet demand based on the total number of occupants that have access to the showers and lockers, as follows:
- 1 shower and 5 lockers for 1-100 occupants
- 2 showers and 10 lockers for 101-300 occupants
- 3 showers and 15 lockers for 301-500 occupants
- 4 showers and 20 lockers for 501-1,000 occupants
- 1 shower and 5 lockers for every additional 500 occupants for 1,001+ occupants.
- Locate the amenities within a ½-mile or 800-meter walking route of all regularly occupied buildings.
Showers and lockers located in fitness facilities that are accessible to the general public do not qualify for the strategy.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Annotated map/plan
- Annotated photographs
- Certified statements