Provide access to an indoor walking path
Rationale: An indoor walking path of a sufficient length with behavioral design features that create a pleasant walking experience encourages regular physical activity — decreasing the risk of chronic cardiovascular and diet-related conditions associated with sedentary lifestyles.
Demonstrate compliance with the below:
Indoor Walking Path (Full Credit):
To achieve full credit, demonstrate compliance with the following requirement:
- Provide an indoor walking path that is accessible to all occupants.
- Locate the indoor walking path within the project and ensure that the path is a minimum of 1/8-mile or 200-meters long.
- Install slip-resistant flooring along the length of the indoor walking path.
- Implement a minimum of two of the following active design strategies throughout the length of the qualifying walking path:
- provide windows with views of nature
- provide non-impeding plants throughout
- posting motivational signs
- painting walls with bright colors.
- Advertise the indoor walking path to all occupants with information on the health benefits of walking and directions for users to cover a minimum of 1/4 mile or 400 meters in a continuous loop through one of the following:
- signage or distance markers
- flyers or printed materials.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Annotated design drawings
- Annotated plans
- Annotated photographs
- Certified statements