Confirm that asbestos has been properly abated and control measures are implemented
Rationale: Confirming that all asbestos has either been removed or abated prevents dangerous exposure to asbestos and supports enhanced indoor air quality, contributing to reduced risk of skin irritation, lung cancer, mesothelioma, asbestosis, and other pulmonary diseases.
Demonstrate compliance with one of the options below:
Option 1 - Asbestos Control Measures (Full Credit):
To achieve full credit, demonstrate compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Implement asbestos control measures that include one of the following:
- clean up.
- Ensure that the identified control measures are performed by a certified professional.
- Ensure that the identified control measures are required for future renovations within the building.
- Ensure that the control measures are implemented in all areas of the building.
Option 2 - Asbestos-Free Construction (Partial Credit):
The project may achieve partial credit by demonstrating compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Ensure that the building construction was completed after the use of asbestos in construction was regulated or banned in the country or region where building is located (such as in the United States the use of asbestos in construction was regulated for all buildings constructed after 1986).
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Certified statements
- Uploaded copy of materials