Provide occupants access to transit benefits
Rationale: Providing transit benefits that increase the value of using public transportation or carpooling, disincentivize single-occupancy vehicle use, encourage use of more active modes of transportation — and increase equity for those who cannot drive or afford private vehicle use — contributing to increased rates of physical activity and reduced congestion and air pollution.
Demonstrate compliance with one of the options below:
Option 1 - Transit Benefits (Full Credit):
To achieve full credit, demonstrate compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Provide all full- and part-time employees and staff with ongoing transit benefits that facilitate the use of transit.
Qualifying transit benefits may include but are not limited to the following:
- monthly subsidies or reimbursements for public transit use
- pre-tax allocation for public transportation
- employer-sponsored public transit spending accounts
- parking cash-out programs
- free employee shuttle to nearby transit stops
- parking benefits used only for transit or commuter parking lots.
Transit benefits that include single-occupancy vehicles do not qualify for the strategy.
Option 2 - Charge for On-Site Parking (Partial Credit):
The project may achieve partial credit by demonstrating compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Charge for on-site parking.
- Ensure prices are no more than 10% below the average hourly cost of a minimum of two of the parking facilities closest to the building.
Free parking does not qualify for this strategy.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Annotated maps
- Annotated plans
- Certified statements