Implement radon control measures
Rationale: Radon is a carcinogen found in soil and rock that can seep into lower levels of buildings through cracks in the foundation; testing, monitoring and controlling radon gas effectively limits occupant exposure reducing lung cancer risk.
Demonstrate compliance with one of the options below:
Option 1 - Radon Testing or Monitoring - (Full Credit):
To achieve full credit, demonstrate compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Test or monitor for radon according to the following sections in the Fitwel Radon Testing or Monitoring Requirements:
- qualifying devices
- required locations
The Fitwel Radon Testing or Monitoring Requirements are attached below.
Option 2 - Radon Control Measures - (Partial Credit):
The project may achieve partial credit by demonstrating compliance with all of the following requirements:
- For projects where the recommended limits for radon levels are not met, establish and implement a radon mitigation and remediation plan that includes a minimum of one of the following interventions:
- active soil depressurization or soil suction
- home or room pressurization, which uses a fan to blow air into the spaces with elevated radon levels
- installation of a heat recovery ventilator or an air-to-air heat exchanger
- natural ventilation of spaces with elevated radon levels
- sealing openings in surfaces between the indoors and the soil.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Annotated map/plan
- Uploaded protocol
- Certified statements