Provide an optimal lighting environment
Rationale: A layered, flexible, and low-flicker artificial lighting setup that can adjust to individual occupant needs and day-to-day weather conditions reduces the risk of developing eye strain and migraines, and helps regulate circadian rhythm, which has strong positive effects on mood, sleep, and the immune system.
Demonstrate compliance with the below:
Optimal Lighting Environment (Full Credit):
Demonstrate compliance with all of the following requirements:
- Ensure that 51% of lighting fixtures within all regularly occupied spaces within the building are dimmable and/or tunable.
- Ensure that the dimmable and/or tunable lighting fixtures can be operated by all building occupants.
- Provide a minimum of one type of the following qualifying ambient lighting sources for general illumination throughout all regularly occupied areas within the building:
- recessed ceiling fixtures
- wall sconces
- floor lamps
- cove lighting.
- Ensure that all lighting fixtures within all regularly occupied spaces within the building are low flicker*.
*Low flicker lights are those that align with IEEE Std 1789-2015 and have a flicker of no less than 90Hz and a modulation percent ≤ 0.08*flicker.
*Low flicker lights that comply with UL's Verified Low Optical Flicker or BREEAM HEA 05 may qualify.
Qualifying regularly occupied spaces must include but are not limited to the following:
1. Dwelling units
2. Common building amenities: which include resource centers, fitness facilities, and exercise rooms.
Types of compliance documentation required:
- Annotated design drawings or specifications
- Annotated photographs
- Certified statements