Stair access provides an opportunity for occupants to increase regular physical activity.
- Access in Fitwel means free and unfettered entry and use is available to all regular occupants.
- This strategy requires that at least one accessible staircase connects the main building entrance floor to all required levels as required by the relevant scorecard. Multiple stairwells are not required. However, projects may choose to combine stairs, either unenclosed or enclosed, to achieve credit. For example, the project may qualify if the lobby floor is connected to the next two levels by an open staircase and then uses an enclosed stairwell for additional upper floors.
- This strategy is a parent strategy to all other strategies in Section 5. In order to achieve full credit for all other strategies in this section, you must demonstrate compliance with 5.1, Stair Access.
- Single-story buildings may not qualify for this strategy, as the intent is to provide accessible stairwells for vertical travel. Single-story buildings may pursue the Alternative Compliance option, providing an indoor walking path.
- Keycards and other security devices may be used to restrict access where needed, provided that all regular occupants have stairwell access to all required floors as indicated in the relevant scorecard requirements.
- Interior or exterior stairwells may be used for the strategy. However, stairs that are primarily used for emergency scenarios do not qualify, such as one-way circulation stairs, fire escape stairs, etc.